Friday, February 27, 2015

It's not just me

So I just read this article in WSJ about this little tidying up book.  Apparently, it's something of a worldwide phenomenon.  Who knew?  Yes, I knew I wasn't the only one captured by it, or buying it ... I realized it was selling well if it showed up in my little independent bookstore in town.

The WSJ article gives a scholarly peruse of the market segment this book appeals to, its demographic, and the cultural movement that it apparently represents.  Whatever.  It's me -- but it's not me.  I don't fit the demographic they mention.  I am not young and hip.  Nor do I fit the cultural movement of self-improvement.  At least I don't think I do.  I'm certainly not one of the people taking pictures of their underwear drawer and sharing them with the world online. Sheesh.

The plus side of the article is there's a little video to show the "correct" way to fold clothing, which could explain the sock meatballs I created.  But I like them, and they work pretty well.  The meatballs stay.

I'm just a middle-aged lady who's tired of being chained to too many things I don't value. Stuff I don't want to own, a job that pays the bills nicely but that I don't like any more in an industry that bores me,  good memories that get buried under bad ones because the latter haven't been sorted out, processed, and discarded.

For me, it's just about traveling lighter, because I'm ready to travel (figuratively, done too much literally) and I can't do that without tidying up some.  But I could spend the rest of my life sorting and stalling, so this year.  Anything that isn't sorted, processed, and tidied by year's end gets trashed.

But in the meantime, doing our taxes has stalled my cleanup.  So back to the paperwork first, then on to the next milestone of tidying up.

No comments:

Post a Comment