Thursday, February 5, 2015

We're On a Break

My tidying up book recommends 6 months to complete the clean up of a home.  When I first read this, I thought it was too long.  How long could it take, really?

But now I think it's not long enough.  Not because I have that much stuff (although I have plenty). But because it's exhausting, time-consuming, emotionally draining and sometimes just a big boring drag.  You've got to be in a brisk, ruthless mood to keep at this get-rid-of-it business. And who feels like that all the time? When I find myself second guessing what I purge, organizing instead of tossing, it's time to take a break. Hours, days, or a couple weeks. Anyway, it's pretty pathetic to turn housecleaning into some sort of loser hobby.  I want to hang out with friends, or go interesting places, watch a movie, basically have a life.  And my closets and drawers are not my life.

This is going to take a year.  Easily.  Because I'm not going to do this again, or turn it into my life's mission, I'm doing this thing right then I'm not doing it any more.  

I'll keep plugging away, I'm not giving up.  By the end of the year I will be living only with stuff I want.  But I'll be living for real in the meantime.

Maybe that's progress, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment